The Michigan Men’s Basketball University (21-11, 10-8 Big Ten) began a dominant 75-55 victory in the second round of the Illinois (acc tournament) Big Ten Championships in the capital and Verizon Center. The eighth seeded Wolverines now face top-seeded Purdue (25-6, 14-4 Big Ten) is on Friday afternoon (March 10) in the quarterfinals at noon on ESPN. U-M is victorious, he will be the winner of the Michigan State / Minnesota game in the semifinals on Saturday open at 1:00 am on CBS.
Blue Corn & Quick Notes
• Michigan is 7-2 in nine games with two losses in the Minnesota red-hot overtime (February 19), the team that won seven of their last eight and then catch the last second and throwing Northwestern Plenary March). In fact, since the loss of U-M 85-69 in Illinois, U-M, there are five big ten games lost an average of only 4.6 ppg.
• Corn & Blue closed the regular season four of its five road games. In fact, five of the last seven games were out of Ann Arbor. The game of the Ten Championship round now, he has six of the last eight games.
• John Beilein approved legendary trainer Johnny Orr U-M wins after 210 Big Ten Tournament win second round against Illinois Michigan (March 9). In fact, the addition of 40 wins in this Beilein HS Newfane, he has accumulated total of 801 in 42 years patrolling out. Just three games ago, Beilein won 500 Division I win over Rutgers (68-64, Feb. 22).
• L-M 21 wins to help give Beilein the seventh season of 20-plus wins over 10 years in Ann Arbor. Basically, he’s 28 Wolverines all the time.
• 10 U-M conferences also have the seventh time in the last Beilein the Wolverines. Beilein became the first trainer of the seventh season of 10-plus wins at Big Ten Johnny Orr, Bill Frieder and Steve Fisher have a six during his career.
• L-M and 77.2% registered from the free-throw line – better than the 2013-14 Selection Register 76.2%. Wolverines will continue to lead the Big Ten and 13th in the nation.
• Michigan continues to lead the country with a low turnover per game (9.3). U-M has 10 or less turnover of 23 matches.
Big Ten tournament HERE
• Michigan is 19-18 (14-17 *) level Big Ten Championships.
• Prior to this season, the Big Ten Championship placed between Indianapolis, Ind. (Bankers Life Fieldhouse) and Chicago, Illinois. (United Center) is played. Tournament this season in Washington, DC (Verizon Center). Next season will be held in New York (Madison Square Garden). In 2019, the tournament will return to the United Center and Bankers Life Fieldhouse of 2020.
• L-M is 11-10 in games played at Indianapolis (Bankers Life Fieldhouse) and 7-8 in Chicago (United Center).
• L-M won the inaugural tournament in 1998, but the title was vacated due to NCAA sanctions.
• In 2014, U-M acquire No. 1 seeds from the first and advanced for the title game for the second time.
• In general, the Wolverines had nine in the first round bye.
• Michigan won the last 11 holes Match Play Straight. In fact, John Beilein never missed the opening game, winning straight 10.
> 7-4 (6-4) all-time games in the first round
> 3-0 (3-0) all-time games in the second round
> 6-9 (5-8 *) all the time in the last eight games.
> 2-4 (1-4 *) all the time in the semifinals.
> 1-1 (0-1 *) during the time the championship game.
• L-M has never played in Maryland, Nebraska and Rutgers in the tournament.
• Michigan had four players named the Big Ten All-Tournament is – Robert Traylor and Jerod Ward in 1998, Nik Stauskas in 2014 and Zak Irvin in 2016.
Last time: MICHIGAN 75, Illinois 55
• Michigan received a decisive 75-55 victory to continue, although the quarterfinals of the Illinois Big Ten team in a plane crash, which occurred on Wednesday afternoon (March 8). U-M had to fly to Washington, DC on Thursday morning (March 9), and arrived at the Verizon Center in less than two hours before giving.
• Four players finished two point numbers – Derrick Walton, Jr. (19), Zak Irvin (18), Mohammed Ali Abdur-Rahkman (18), and Wilson, D. J. (11).
• Michigan took wire to wire at least eight points in the last 34 minutes.
• With victory, U-M coach John Beilein overcoming Johnny Orr, the most victorious coach in Michigan was combined with 210 wins.
• Wolverines shot 53.6 percent (30-for-56) from the floor and had 10 ball steals victory.
Purdue time series
• Michigan Route is 68-87 all-time series with Purdue, but has a record from October 6 to 4 last year.
• Today’s game is the second event of the season after only met once during the regular season. It is also the second consecutive year the team faced Big Ten Championships.
• L-M Coach John Beilein is 9/08 all-time against Purdue.
In the only meeting – Michigan 82, No. 14 Purdue 70
• To lead from start to finish, Michigan claimed its second top-15 win this year with an 82-70 win over No. 14. Purdue (Feb. 25) at Crisler Center.
• Moritz Wagner was the basket with 24 points on the 10-for-15 shot and a distance of 4 to 6. He dominated the first half with a maximum of 22 points for Wolverine in the first 20 minutes, as Daniel Horton had 24 in the first Semester vs. Bowling Green (December 11, 2002).
• Derrick Walton Jr. remains hot red, sent his third double-double of the season and eighth of his career with 17 points and 11 rebounds. He added five assists and steals.
• Strong defense efforts Wagner and D. J. Wilson both can save Caleb Swanigan Purdue – at the rebounding top of the Big Ten (12.6 rpg) and double-double machine – it’s the low season and five rebounds.
• Michigan can seize the, heard 11 of three points, but Purdue made just five. Boilermakers are just Wolverines in three points made before the game.
• Three battle line free-throw game, U-M was 11-for-11 for the win.
• In a ceremony before the game, Michigan Day is top commemorated as a tribute to Walton, Irvin Zak, Mark Donnal, Sean Lonergan and Andrew Dakich last match Crisler Center. In addition, L-M Chad wore T-shirts Strong Foundation to support the participation of Chadian and John Beilein Coaches4Charity Challenge.
In the Championship: United States Purdue
• Michigan is 2-1 all-time against Purdue Big Ten Championships.
• (2016 U-M lost to No. 4 Purdue, 76-59, at Bankers Life Fieldhouse). No. 8 Michigan see the race will end after losing 76-59 No. 4 Purdue will be in the semifinals. U-M did not take in the game, but the neck Boilermakers for the neck most of the first half. Purdue built for 16 points lead Wolverines appear six (60-54) with 7:35 left. It would be as close as corn and blue received from Purdue shot 52.7 percent from the ground. Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman led Michigan with 15 points while Derrick Walton 14 points, six rebounds and added five assists.
• (1999 UM defeated No. 7 Purdue, 79-73 OT in Central America), the first No. 10 Michigan tournament extension game, Louis Bullock had 26 points, Josh Asselin had 19 points and 10 rebounds, and Pete Vignier added 11 points and 10 rebounds as the UM Boilermakers turn in the opening round of games. With the game tied 67-67, after regulation, the Wolverines beat Purdue, 12-6, to move on.
• (1998 A No. 3 Purdue won the inaugural tournament in Central America) The late Robert Traylor had 24 points and 13 rebounds, while Maceo Baston had 16 as a substitute. He countered to win the first tournament, 76-67, Then left the tournament due to an infringement of NCAA titles.